PURCHASE THIS SONG AND HELP THE SF FOOD BANK!!
I composed this song as part of a project hosted by the Kindie Songwriting Club. Five west-coast songwriters each created a song with the same fan-chosen title -- Green Beans Everywhere (go here to listen to the other folks' songs! kindiesongwritingclub.bandcamp.com/album/kindie-songwriting-club-vol-1
) My first version of the song was a rather silly (yet naturally compelling, esp for my 2 boys) story about a food fight, but I realized I didn't really want to encourage kids with that kind of inspiration so I kept thinking.
I landed on something more serious and contemplative, and a topic that's sometimes difficult to know how to discuss with children -- world hunger. The song tells the story of a child first confronting the concept that not everyone in the world has enough food to eat, and what she decides to do about it. Her vision of a "rainbow garden" from which we all share food is a dream I imagine we all have for every sentient being the world over.
If you're inspired to help after listening to the song, here are FIVE things you can do:
1. Purchase the song for a price of your choosing. I will donate 100% of profits to the San Francisco Food Bank.
2. Donate directly to the San Francisco Food Bank: org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5420/t/9547/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=1974
For every $1 you donate, the Food Bank can distribute $6 worth of food! And 97% of all donations go directly toward getting food to hungry people. (If you're not from SF, go here to find your local food bank: feedingamerica.org/foodbank-results.aspx)
3. Make a Food Donation to the SF Food Bank. Info here: www.sffoodbank.org/give_food/
4. Volunteer with the SF Food Bank. This makes for a wonderful all-family activity. Info here: www.sffoodbank.org/volunteer/
5. Please pass this song and message onward.
released July 6, 2011